Information and Communication Technology Unit
The Information and Communication Technology Unit (ICT) is responsible for coordinating policy and service oriented activities as follows:
- To develop a policy for the use of ICTs within Government and to provide a framework for policy implementation; program planning, management and implementation. This will be done in support of the Government's objectives for public service delivery and administrative efficiency, in the context of Public Sector Reform.
- Process Analysis and Process Reengineering for key Public Sector operations that are or can be ICT-enabled and have the potential to add value and directly impact on the level of citizen and business satisfaction with public sector services.
- Innovation: providing high-level advice to Government bodies on innovative opportunities arising from ICTs so as to improve efficiency and to enhance competitiveness in the global information society and knowledge economy.
- ICT Finance: monitoring technical aspects of major ICT projects in Government and advising on major public sector ICT investment decisions.
- ICT Human Resources: promote and advance the ICT Profession in Government and leading its professional development.
- Special Projects: undertaking continuous assessment through policy and strategy studies as necessary to support the Government of Dominica in the advancement of the e-Government and e-Governance.
- Research: identifying and communicating key technology trends, opportunities, threats and risks for Government and for the furtherance of ICT for economic and social development, including appropriateness of existing ICT related legislation.
- Supplier Management: in partnership with the Ministry of Finance, managing the top-level relationship with strategic suppliers to Government and conducting supplier analysis
- Feasibility Studies: conducting operational, technical and financial feasibility of proposed ICT program and projects, including Systems Analysis and Design
- Software: selection, customization and writing software applications, with special emphasis on developing and using open source software
- System Architecture: providing policy, design, standards, governance, advice and guidance for ICT in Government; commissioning Government-wide infrastructure and services; and addressing issues of systems integration across the Public Service and Quasi-governmental agencies and statutory bodies
- Network Infrastructure: Upgrade and rationalize the use of Local Area and Wide Area Networks, including: coordination and optimization of the island-wide networks; implement and monitor standards for the secure transmission and storage of data; and the configuration of wide area and local area networks (WANs & LANs) for the GoCD: segmentation/partitioning issues, network administration & support; rationalize the assignment of IP addresses;
- Security: overseeing Government ICT security policy, standards, monitoring and assurance, and contingency planning for critical national infrastructure
- Technical Support for hardware, software and networks across the Public Service
- Web Services: manage the Government of Dominica Portal, develop and manage an Intranet/Extranet and web based email; manage policies on Web hosting and integration of public sector web sites, including quasi-governmental agencies and the facilitation of government online services: Government to Government (G2G), Government to Employee (G2E), Government to Business (G2B) and Government to Citizen (G2C)
- Data, Information and Knowledge Management: Develop and implement policies and procedures (Implementation of ISO Standard 15489-1 and 15489-2 on ‘Information & Documentation - Records Management’)
- Databases/Software Applications: undertaking Systems auditing of key databases and systems; Design & assist in building and upgrading databases/systems to support the data and information requirements of Agencies; and the implementation of standards & policies for: Data storage and information sharing; Data Integrity; Disaster Recovery; and Data Warehousing & Archiving.
- e-Government Steering Committee: Provide administrative, advisory and technical support services to the e-Government Steering Committee.